Monday, February 9, 2015

Living in the "Crazy South"


They speak French in Montreal so dad will maybe get a little taste of what I am living in haha, but not the same weather.. it is pretty nice here. It is not like Lyon at all it is super dirty and a lot more dark Muslim people but it is still good. I just went from the 3rd biggest city to the 2nd so that's not bad at all, maybe I will be in Paris, haha...  jk! 

But this week here in Marseille has been funny, the first night I was here we went to a lesson with women amis and we were teaching them and all of a sudden they were asking about baptism and then they were asking about baptizing their cat, and all this stuff, like they were saying that their cat was like family and they wanted to have it in their family even after this life and stuff, so Elder Cueva turns to me and just let's me try and answer why we don't baptize cats. Then one of them was just like ok I am gonna get baptized, I have been thinking about it and I am just gonna do it.  He turns to me and I just look blankly at him because this NEVER happens and they started to argue over the fact of him getting baptized and then all of a sudden they both just stop and look at me and start laughing.... and they were like JK, we are members, welcome to Marseille...... and I literally died a little bit. They weren't kidding when they call it the crazy south. It had only been 2 hours that I am here and they had already pranked me. haha! They are super nice though it was a good laugh and really good cooks so I couldn't be upset that they played a trick on me... haha. I guess that's what I get for having the reputation of being a guy who is a jokster... haha!! They got me good!

Then one day some guy on the bus started talking to me and you could tell he wasn't really all there he was kinda high but he started talking to me and telling me he had talked to the missionaries before and he loves us cause we are always so nice. We had to leave and he kinda started creeping so we went to get of the bus and he grabs my hand and just kisses it.. and I was like... donc, merci? à toute à l'huere... and he just sits down and nods at me... haha so there was that too. And today I think there is a strike going on but I am not sure. 

The ward is super cool, there is a couple of Nigerians that I have to translate for in all the meetings so that helps a lot with my French cause I tell them in English and then when they respond I have to tell everyone what they said in French haha. My companion isn't native English speaker so sometimes I have to explain things to him in French and he doesn't understand the things I say in English but he is funny so its ok, he is a doll. Elder Cueva is from Pompalona Spain and he is 24 and is super nice.  He talks to everyone which is a good strength but he speaks 5 languages so its kinda hard not to talk to everyone especially when you can do that.. haha so he is basically the man. Yeah, maybe I will be able to talk to dad when I am done with my mission in Spanish. He is district leader so we are always going on exchanges and stuff like that and the ward here loves him so they love me too :) haha which is a really good way to start off here in a new city.



Here is Elder Schettler's new address in Marseille, use as written below! 

Les Missionnaires
Benjamin Schettler
30 Avenue de Toulon
13008
Marseille
France

Email: benjamin.schettler@myldsmail.net

No comments:

Post a Comment