Monday, October 5, 2015

September in Corsica

Letter to Dad Sept 13, 2015
Dang you guys keep getting more and more busy it seems sometimes! But
it's better to be busy and have things to do that be sitting around
not doing anything, serving in one way or another is the only way to
go. Yeah maybe one day I will end up being scout leader cause I am an
Eagle Scout too haha only by a couple hours though... Barely made it!
That was over a year ago that I earned that award! Crazy... I'm glad
to hear the Utes didn't get a very unneeded loss at the beginning of
the season like they normally do, but that's too bad about Travis
Wilson! I am missing his senior season... Sorta sad. I hope he comes
back soon. I just remember that HUGE block he threw down on some ucla
guy a few years ago and it makes me laugh. All I ever hear is how good
byu is and everything, so it's refreshing to hear the real side of
things (the Utah side) haha but hey I guess they are prayin a lot, and
prayer seems to work... Testimony builder?? Haha

I'm glad to hear I'm not completely forgotten from the lacrosse world
yet! But yeah that Brighton game was the most saves I've ever had in a
game, so it was a good way to end my high school lacrosse. We actually
were closer to winning than corner canyon was that year against
Brighton, so we technically took second... Haha I'm glad Nate is
playing though, he has a great stick I'm sure. He just has to never let
it leave his hands even when he is home, at Coleman's house we would
carry sticks around everywhere and always be playing and I think that
helped me a lot. So if he can find someone to lax with all the time
that would be awesome.

This week I went on an exchange after zone training which we Skyped
into. We were just in the church in Bastia and everyone else was in
nice all together haha. It too expensive to send us over there a lot
so yeah we don't go. But I spent 4 days down in Ajaccio with elder
Brown from skyline and Elder Richmond from Texas. We had a lot of fun,
and I got to meet them better than I knew hem before which wasn't too
much. They tried to play a trick on me with a member, but I'd already
heard about them doing it before so I caught on haha and it made him
sorta mad, he was just like "who told you?!" Cause he was gonna
pretend to mug me haha but yeah I just kept laughing and yeah it
didn't work. Yeah we actually went to a tiny village and knocked on a
guy's door and he instantly invited us to sit down and partake of his
grapes he was growing and then gave us cake and water, all before he
knew why we were there haha we ended up talking and when we left we
left him with a Book of Mormon, but only after the struggle of
convincing him that he didn't need to pay us for it. So sometimes it's
really easy but other times people just shut the door before we even
say hi. So it depends. As for food we buy cheese and a sausage every
week just to experience it a little, but restaurants we don't really
eat at too often. It is too expensive and we don't have a ton of time
either.

The new things in the mission all happened this week actually! He
changed a lot of the rules with things that we can and can't do, we
can't go to the beach anymore(between may1 and oct,1), we can't talk
with other missionaries, we can't use our slang of incoming
missionaries and their trainers (we would say 'dad' for trainer and
'son' for blue) and other slang terms we can't say. And just some
other things were changed so I guess I was lucky to be able to go in
Marseille and Bastia before it changed. Idk it's starting to change a
lot and it's weird. He is a lot more strict with missionaries than
president Roney but we will see how things keep going.

Letter to mom, Sept 13, 2015
Nate and dad will have a lot of fun together, and I know the scouts
are gonna now be doing a lot of boating and water activities... Haha
ok you can give them to fanny, She might even be able to give it to
Elder Tihopu cause I should see him next week at zone conference in
Aix, but tell her she can decide cause she probably knows which one is
faster. We don't need chocolate but ranch would be good!

This week was actually stake conference, I watched in Ajaccio (where
napoleon Bonaparte is from) because I was on exchange down there with
my district leader and so we actually had 8 people there at their
house watching a stream from Toulon where the stake conference was. I
saw Frère Faudin cause he translated for the area 70 who came to speak
but I just saw him haha but I saw a proposal this week! We were in
Ajaccio and they have an amie who wants to be baptized and she needs
to get married before she can cause she lives with her boyfriend so we
were there and we asked if they had talked about it and she said no
and then she just turns and is like 'tu veux te marier avec moi?"
Hahaha which is basically saying "you wanna get married?" Just so
straight up and he didn't even hesitate and said yes haha so she is
going to get the papers and everything ready for that!

The way we find new people is just going porting, so we will go to big
buildings and just knock on doors haha but we have a bunch of Amis we
usually only do like and hour or two a day. The most exciting thing
about Bastia is that we are the more beautiful out of the two cities
with missionaries. Haha I was in Ajaccio and it wasn't as beautiful as
Bastia so that made me pretty excited. I got the most beautiful of the
most beautiful island in the world. The craziest person is one of our
amies she calls herself la chouette which means "the owl" haha and she
is like 70 and just a little off her knocker. She is really nice but
just takes things really weirdly sometimes haha and yes they love
napoleon down here but mostly in Ajaccio. And the cool fact is that
people still live in villages on the island and there are villages of
like 120 people sometimes and yeah it's just really weird. They don't
do anything with society or the French people, the Corsican people
hate French people! But they technically are French... So yeah...
Sorta weird.

Love you all

Elder Schettler

Sept 20, 2015
Right now I am about half way through my 9th transfer and as elders we
normally do about 16 transfers so I just passed the half way point.
But that lake Powell trip sounds like it was a lot of fun. That's
crazy to think Mary will be able to go to dances and everything this
year! And Nate is hopping in the goal? Haha never thought that he
would be getting in there.

Our lessons this week were pretty cool, I went to Ajaccio again this
week for another exchange so I spent the day down there, we went and
saw a guy that I contacted last time I was there and we played ping
pong with him and his sister and we had a good talk with his dad as
well. He is 23 and lives at home, his name is Jean-Lou which means
John wolf haha he is super funny. I was there with elder Richmond and
elder Frost came there with me this time. Then our other lessons his
week were pretty good, we had 15 lessons which was our goal and we met
some cool people. Peoples lives here are normal... Idk... Corsica
people are just very influenced by the people around them cause it's
an island and so yeah. My favorite part of Bastia is the food. There
is good sausage and good cheese... super Frenchy.

We played soccer like two weeks ago and that was pretty fun, we met a
couple people and got numbers and hope to be able to play with them
again, but for the most part we don't play a whole lot of sports. When
we played I was just that person who steals the goals from the cross.
Cherry picker. I got 5 or so goals haha Americans playin soccer with a
bunch of Africans..

Yeah we are usually pretty busy every week, we find stuff to fill our time with.

September 28, 2015
I actually took a sneak peak and looked up the score with Siri right
after church 😁 haha so I already knew the score but I didn't believe
it for a good while, me and Elder Landry both got a good laugh and
talk about it. He is from Georgia so we get along because he isn't a
BYU guy. But those highlights are Sooo cool! I love getting those by
the way! You can send those as often as you would like, we love
getting those down here. But yeah this week was a pretty crazy one. We
were supposed to go back to the mother land on Wednesday night so we
were going to Ajaccio to take the boat but of course as fate would
have it there was a car crash and France being France and always have
one road to get places was backed up and we got stuck in traffic for 2
hours and missed our boat. So we had to get up extra early and grab
the one the next morning. And while we were on this one we took a much
needed nap (the boat is 8 hours) and while we were doing that a member
texted us and told us that her daughter had just decided to be
baptized! So we got a new baptismal engagement this week! While we
were sleeping! Haha so that one helped build my faith. I also got to
go see all my friends that were still in aix zone and stuff this week
cause we had a big conference there! We listened to Elder Adler from
the area 70 and he spoke about being united as an equipe and as well
as with God it was a really good talk.

So for P-day this week we went a found a really big mountain and went
up it and took a bunch of cool pictures on top of there and then we
drove back down the other side and saw all these different mountain
ranges and drive by the ocean and just had a calm mice in drive. I
actually was gonna watch the blood moon thingy but I was too tired and
I wouldn't be able to make up the sleep I lost so I didn't. I wish I
did but nah.

But this week was a good one. We have a couple really cool Amis that
we started teaching and have started to get pretty serious with there
is a couple named Patrick and Nathalie who are super Corsican (they
hate 'French people') because apparently Corsicans are different...
Haha but anyway they are about 50 years old and really funny. Patrick
loves hunting and so we get along when we talk about guns and stuff
like that! Idk maybe it's just a guy thing but I love guns, he let me
hold one even though that probably isn't allowed by the rules! Haha
but we have been teaching them about the restoration and about the
plan of salvation and it has been going really well. And we also have
an ami named Matteu who is Catholic and about 24 years old, we have
been teaching him and so far he hasn't seen the differences between us
and the Catholic Church besides Joseph smith, and this past week he
came to us and told he has been reading in the Book of Mormon and had
a bunch of questions about it! It was super cool because as he reads
he is starting to realize all the differences between us. It is cool
to see his understanding grow and progress as he puts forth his own
efforts to find out more.

Anyway hope everything is well at home! I might be needing some Utah
shorts to run in soon, I wanna be decked out in Utah stuff haha there
are too many BYU people here for my liking and we need them to be a
little more quiet... Haha the best I can get out of them is 'ok Utah
is good this year' 😂🙌🏼🙌🏼 proud to be a ute fan. (Now)
Love Elder Schettler













Les missionnaires
Résidence du Parc
Avenue de la Liberation Lot-228
Bat B
20600 Bastia
Corse

France

No comments:

Post a Comment